Sunday, March 26, 2017

Róisín Murphy's Athens concert review

I can’t say that I was a Róisín Murphy fan from day one, I only started paying attention a couple of years ago, but after last night I consider myself devoted to her talent and her lavishing charm. That girl is theatre! Change costume after change costume, masks, bizarre wigs, fluffy hats and a penis on her head that had the crowd cheering - and all the changes happened without even leaving the stage! An artist with such presence, commanded the stage oozing with confidence and winning me over track by track. Lucky for me, the setlist was mainly from her last two albums Hairless Toys and Take He Up To Monto. “Thoughts Wasted”, “Gone Fishing”, “Evil Eyes”, “Exploitation”, “Mastermind”, “Ten Miles High” and many more. Personally, I left the concert ultra - satisfied, but I can't say the same for all the hard core fans. They came to hear some classic Róisín, which only happened with a few songs, “Forever More” and “Jealousy” were the two that I distinctly recognized. Frankly, I believe that artists evolve, mature and that reflects in their work, which is fine, but you have to give something more to those who - boom - were fans from the Moloko times. They came for some classic Róisín and you treated them with ballads.. 

P.S. Sorry for the crappy photos, but I couldn't drag my friends in the front row, as I usually do!

Σίγουρα δεν υπήρξα fan της Róisín Murphy από την αρχή, τα τελευταία δύο χρόνια έχω ξεκινήσει να την παρακολουθώ, αλλά μετά την χθεσινή βραδιά προσκυνώ το ταλέντο και την γοητεία της. Τόσες αλλαγές σε κοστούμια, χνουδωτά καπέλα, περίεργες περούκες και ένα πέος στο κεφάλι της που πραγματικά ήταν το κάτι άλλο - και όλα αυτά πάνω στη σκηνή. Ευτυχώς για μένα, το setlist ήταν κυρίως από τα δύο τελευταία της album, Hairless Toys και Take He Up To Monto. “Thoughts Wasted”, “Gone Fishing”, “Evil Eyes”, “Exploitation”, “Mastermind”, “Ten Miles High” και πολλά άλλα. Από τα παλιότερα κομμάτια - που δεν ηταν και πολλά - κατάφερα να ξεχωρίσω τα “Forever More” και “Jealousy”. Αυτός ήταν και ο λόγος που οι σκληροπυρηνικοι fan της έφυγαν κάπως απογοητευμένοι. Προσωπικά, πιστεύω και υποστηρίζω το δικαίωμα των καλλιτεχνών να εξελίσσονται, να ωριμάζουν και όλο αυτό, φυσικά, να αντικατοπτρίζεται στο έργο τους. Αλλά κάποιοι σε ακολουθούν από τον καιρό των Moloko και ήρθαν για να ακούσουν κλασική Róisín, μην τους φτύνεις με μπαλάντες.

Υ.Γ. Οι φωτογραφίες είναι απαίσιες το ξέρω, αλλά δεν μπόρεσα να τραβολογήσω την παρέα μου πιο κοντά στη σκηνή, όπως κάνω συνήθως.









No comments:

Post a Comment